Host an event
Here are some key suggestions for how to plan and implement a VAST Awareness/Fundraising Event. We recommend forming a team and delegating responsibilities. If you have questions or needs, please do not hesitate to contact a member of VAST’s leadership team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Choose Location: local restaurant, church, public venue, you OWN home
- Choose format:
- Film screening —Very young girls or Sex & Money
- Dinner with speaker
- Dessert Bar and mini presentation on human trafficking and VAST
- Hold a book discussion using a book on the issue of human trafficking
- Prayer Walk/Candlelight Vigil—Plan a prayer walk in your community bringing awareness that human trafficking happens in every community
- Plan a brown-bag lunch time discussion at your workplace, sharing with your colleagues about the issue of human trafficking.
- Concert/ Benefit show
- Make a traveling mural focusing on victims of human trafficking. (This is a great way to get your youth involved.) Create it and then arrange for it to be on display at various places a church, the public library, or town hall in your community for a week could also be accompanied by an informational display on the issue.
- Plan a worship service with a human trafficking theme.
- These are just suggestions. Be creative! Use your interests and skills to bring awareness.
During event, you can:
- Utilize content from Training outline
- Have a “Question and Answer” time
- Hand out “Ways to take action” flyer
- Introduce the group to VAST & its mission. Explain that all costs and additional donations will go towards operational expenses of VAST.
- Invite individuals to VAST coalition meeting and to sign up for email listserv
- Write letters to your local and state government, the editor to your local newspaper on the issue or write a guest commentary on the issue for the paper.
- Consider possible needs: projector and screen
- Contact VAST if a speaker or representative is needed.
- Seek donations for food items. (Obtain letter from VAST for tax deductible receipt)
- Create prices for event and price for food items to support local anti-trafficking initiatives
- Raffle donated items
- Obtain VAST literature/resources to supply at the event.
- Polaris Project Hotline Poster
- VAST brochure, postcards, business cards
- Sign-up sheet for VAST newsletter
- Informative brochures about human trafficking
- Decide how to invite/promote event
- Contact VAST leadership to promote on website and Facebook.
- Create a Facebook event/promotional flyer and have friends/family/coalition members distribute and promote. (Please contact VAST if you would like a template)
- Check donations can be made payable to: VAST