U.S. receives an average of 16,000 international people
for the purpose of sex trafficking annually.
This is our America.
Sex trafficking is
Sex trafficking is when a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such act has not attained 18 years of age.
A Commercial Sex Act is
A Commercial Sex Act is any sexual act in exchange for an item of value, including money, food, drugs and shelter.
Is Sex Trafficking a Big Issue?
- At least 100,000 children are used in prostitution every year in the United States.
- The Urban Institute estimates the underground sex economy to be ranged from 39.9 million to 290 million.
- The average age a teen enters the sex trade in the U.S. is 12 to 14-year-old.
- The CNN Freedom Project estimate Human trafficking to be the third largest international crime industry (behind illegal drugs and arms trafficking). Reportedly it generates 32 billion every year of which 15.5 billion is made in industrialized countries
What Does it look like?
The three primary manifestations of child sex trafficking in America are:
- pimp-controlled prostitution
- familial prostitution
- survival sex
Prostituted girls are often controlled by a pimp who recruits them into sex trafficking by posing as a boyfriend, caretaker, and protector.
Any person induced to perform a commercial sex act and has not attained 18 years of age is deemed a victim of sex trafficking.
Most prostitution involves pimps, 85% of all prostitution is pimp-dominated
Where Does it Happen?
Pimp-controlled street/indoor prostitution
Commercial- front massage parlor
Closed residential brothels
Victims are advertised on internet sites, then placed in hotels/motels where customers use them.
Commercial front business, agricultural operations
In PA many truck stops are known for playing host to sex trafficking
Why don’t more people know?
Sex trafficking victims get misidentified as prostitutes not victims
Victims go unnoticed by society by being hidden behind the acceptable sex industry
People assume victims are being transported from place to place but in reality many victims are pimp controlled.